What is the price of a parallelism and a control of the geometry of the tires?
The parallelism and the tire geometry are two of the essential elements of good road holding, and therefore of your safety. It's also a cost-saving factor: a well-tuned tire geometry prolongs their service life and avoids a counter-visit during the technical inspection. parallelism, meanwhile, will be very useful to limit your fuel consumption .
Captain-Drive.com tells you more about usefulness of this control, on the tariffs of this setting and on the ways of making savings on the estimates of the garages.
What is the parallelism of a car ? And the geometry of the tires?
When you have the geometry of the tires of your car checked, the parallelism must be one of the components. The parallelism corresponds to the angle formed by the axis of the wheels of your car, in relation to its displacement. This is measured separately between the front and rear wheels of the vehicle.
Expressed most often in millimeters, the difference is generally between 0.2 and 1.5 millimeters per wheel (this result is obtained by subtracting the difference front wheels with respect to the rear wheels). The measurement may seem weak, but this setting is not negligible. If this is not done, your car will have to make "more effort" to move forward: your fuel consumption will be affected and you will have to change your tires more often. In addition, you will experience some driving discomfort.
The tire geometry corresponds to all the characteristics of the system of connection between the body and the wheel of the vehicle.
span> Why check the parallelism and geometry of the tires?
Testing the parallelism and geometry of the tires is absolutely essential for the proper maintenance of your vehicle. If this check is not made, it is possible that in the short term, the asymmetry may cause an increase in fuel consumption. It is also possible that your car "does not go straight": your car is then swept to the left or right. Thus you will constantly be forced to "straighten" your vehicle to follow the road without taking any risk.
In the longer term, your car tires will wear faster, up to 30%! Some mechanical elements will also have to be replaced more quickly because they will be much more stressed than normal.
Thus, the control of the parallelism and the geometry of the tires must be carried out regularly by a professional. Whatever happens, this check will be carried out at least every four years thanks to the technical control.However, it is strongly recommended to carry out a geometry check at least every year to optimize the angles and alignments of the vehicle.
There are several types of tire geometry control:
- Quick Control : corresponds to a control of the geometry on an electronic bench and the reading of the values. It makes it possible to identify the settings to be made and to validate the geometry before a technical inspection.
- Control and adjustment of the parallelism : corresponds to the setting of the axis of symmetry of the front wheels, to remedy an abnormal wear of the front tires and/or a defect in steering resistance.
- Control and adjustment of front and rear parallelism rear : this type of control corresponds to the adjustment of the axis of symmetry of the front and rear wheels for a perfect alignment of the 4 wheels. It responds to abnormal wear and tear on the front and rear tires.
- Check and adjust the parallelism and front camber : this is the same setting as for the classic parallelism, with in addition the camber of the front wheels. The camber is defined wheel by wheel according to the angle of inclination of the wheel relative to the horizontal. It makes it possible to optimize the contact of the tire with the ground.
- Control and adjustment of the parallelism and the camber front and back : without surprise, it This is the same control as the one above, plus the adjustment of the camber of the rear wheels. Optimum handling guaranteed!
How much does parallelism cost?
On average, parallelism control and more generally, the geometry of the tires is quite cheap. Of course, the price differs according to the expert to whom you entrust your vehicle. But good news: whether you have an Opel Corsa, a Peugeot 308 or a BMW 5 Series, the price will be the same! This is a package offered by most professionals.
On average, the price of a "basic" parallelism costs 60 €. For a package to control the complete geometry of your tires, the price is on average 120 €.
A real-time quote?
Captain-Drive offers the ability to directly simulate a price estimate based on your car model, via our Quote tool. Do not hesitate to visit our dedicated page.